This post was sponsored by Crisco® Coconut Oil as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Fall time is here! Well, not quite, but in my head, fall is here! Fall means back to school, hoodie sweatshirts, hot cocoa, and pumpkin EVERYTHING! It also means a return to using my oven and stovetop to cook up my favorite fall recipes. Fall is really my favorite time to cook. Living in Western New York, there is an ABUNDANCE of harvest – squash, zucchinis, tomatoes, gourds of all kind, and of course, pumpkins!
Now, I know everyone isn’t a huge pumpkin fan and pumpkin can be an overwhelming flavor – but I want to share with you this fantastic fall recipe that harnesses the orange power of fall to create an AMAZING savory dinner that will warm your heart and soul. It combines the yummy flavors of pumpkin and sweet potato, with coconut and curry. It really is fantastic and isn’t too much work!
The secret behind this amazing recipe starts at the very beginning – it’s coconut oil! Coconut oil is an amazing addition to any pantry, and my favorite brand and what I use in this awesome recipe is Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil. I LOVE that it is organic – I try to buy organic whenever I can for my family, and I love that it is easily available when I’m buying the rest of my groceries at Target. Target is one of my favorite places to shop for groceries because they have awesome fresh ingredients and I can pick up everything I need for my family in one place. Everyone knows the most precious commodity of any mom is time, and Target saves me a ton of that!
You want to be careful that you get the right kind of coconut oil – there are two different kinds – refined and unrefined. The difference between Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil and Crisco® Refined Coconut Oil is important – and I keep both in my pantry! Refined coconut oil has no coconut flavor or aroma, so, you can add it to any of your recipes as an organic substitute for butter, margarine, or other oils. However, if you want to impart a punch of coconut flavor into a recipe, whether you are baking or preparing something savory, Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil will give you that yummy tropical coconut flavor and aroma!
In this recipe, I use the Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil, because coconut pairs really well with the awesome fall flavors of pumpkin and sweet potato, so I want this recipe to pack a coconut punch! Add a ton of yummy fresh ingredients and spices, and you’ve got a recipe for success!
You start by cooking up the chicken, and then the magic starts. The curry is started with Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil, onions, and garlic. Then you cook up the pumpkin and start seasoning! I have to tell you – this recipe smells AMAZING while it is cooking.
Once your curry has time to simmer and let the flavors blend, you add back in the chicken and serve over rice!
Not only is it tasty, I just love how the fall colors and flavors come together so well!
If you are ready to give this recipe and Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil and Crisco® Refined Coconut Oil a try, now is the time to head to Target. From September 3rd to October 7, Crisco® is running a Cartwheel coupon offer at Target for 25% both varieties, so stock up! You can find it right with the other oils at your local Target! I found mine literally under the sign!
Here’s our full yummy recipe – I hope you try it and LOVE it!
- 5 tablespoons of Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 diced tomato (I like to use orange tomatoes, but you can use red)
- 1- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (you can tone this down if your kids don't like spicy!)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Basmati rice, cooked for serving
- Chop sweet potato into bite sized pieces, toss with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Heat 3 tbsp. of Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil in a large dutch oven until melted and hot. Add chicken and cook until cooked through and no pink remains. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of Crisco® Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil. Add onion and ginger and cook until onion is clear and tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and pumpkin puree to mixture. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, until puree is lightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, curry, and cayenne. Add a little salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken and sweet potato and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, and season with salt as needed.
- Serve over basmati rice, garnishing with cilantro and lime.
What are some of your favorite fall recipes?