With the change in seasons, my taste buds are changing too! This week I tested out my first really Fall dish. While this is a sponsored product review for Hillshire Brands™, the opinions and recipe are definitely my own.
Whatever I’m going during the school year has to be delicious (of course!), pretty fast to prepare and something that’s nutritious for the kids that they will eat. I don’t know about your kids but here, nutritious and what they will eat are not necessarily the same thing!
I started off with checking out Hillshire Brands™ products when I was at Safeway last week. By the way, if you haven’t checked out the Safeway Just for U program, you really ought to. You can get some great deals and savings by being a member. And it only takes a minute to sign up. I recommend that you check it out HERE. And while you are doing that, check out the special offers that you can find there – like these!
I like Hillshire Brands™ products and the family REALLY likes the various Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausages and they are a great source or protein for every meal. So I grabbed a few of those and headed home ready to go.
My goal? An awesome fall meal that everyone would eat, would provide deliciousness in a dish and not take me very long to put together! I had homework review, evening appointment and one practice to deal with as well as feed everyone. Time was precious.
Since it was October and I’m German, I thought a little Oktoberfest fun would be perfect! Sausage and sauerkraut anyone?
Oktoberfest Sausage and Kraut in a Crockpot:
- 1 bag of sauerkraut drained of all but ¼ c liquid (found in meat section)
- 1 pkg Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausages
- 1/3 c. packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ c. mustard (we like one that’s a honey mustard style)
- 1 onion halved and then sliced
- Mix sauerkraut, brown sugar and mustard together. Spread ½ of mixture on bottom of crockpot. Make sure there is some liquid from sauerkraut in the bottom as well.
- Slice Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausages on the diagonal, approx.. ¼ to 1/3 inch thickness. You be the judge! Arrange across layer of sauerkraut.
- Spread remaining sauerkraut on top of sausage layer.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, check for dryness and add a bit of water if needed. I find that with the juice from the sauerkraut it usually stays moist. Reduce crockpot setting to low and cook for about 1.5 hours more.
Serve with a potato dish and/or veggie and dinner is ready!
I love this meal!
So check out Hillshire Brands™ products at your local Safeway for more valuable savings on this and other products HERE!
Get the latest on Hillshire Brands™ products @HillshireBrands™ and follow @Safeway for more great deals and products too! Don’t forget to get your own coupon for Hillshire Brands™ products from Safeway HERE!
And for more scrumptious recipes from Hillshire Brands™ products, check these awesome ones out:
As mentioned earlier, this post was sponsored by Hillshire Brands™ products but every delicious bite and opinion are my own!