Are Teen Vaccines on Your Back to School List?

This post was sponsored by Unity Consortium as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.

By this time, most of the items on your teen’s back to school list is (hopefully!) checked off, if they aren’t already back to school.  But it’s possible that you may have forgotten something – your teen’s annual check up and vaccinations.  Everyone knows that babies have a strict vaccination schedule, but you might not think about teen vaccinations! In fact, approximately 1 in 4 parents and teens believe that vaccines are more important for babies and not as important for teens. This is just not the case, which is is why I was excited to hear that UNITY Consortium is addressing this issue, with a goal of 8 out of 10 teenagers being fully vaccinated against preventable diseases.  Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to parenting – four in 10 parents (41%) believe their teen should only see a doctor when he/she feels sick, reducing opportunities to discuss preventive health measures, such as vaccines.

UNITY Consortium is an awesome organization whose aim to improve adolescent health through a focus on prevention and teenage immunization. The UNITY Consortium intends to drive or support efforts to protect adolescents against all vaccine-preventable diseases.  If you visit their website, you can find all kinds of information about teen health and vaccinations, like this awesome infographic!

unityinfographic

UNITY Consortium encourages parents to prioritize annual checkups, especially at  11-12 and 16, when vaccines are recommended.  Recommended vaccinations include, Meningococcal-includes two distinct meningococcal disease vaccines (ACWY and B), Tdap-tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough) and Td Booster (tetanus and diphtheria), HPV-human papillomavirus, and flu.

I know that I am going to start calendering my teenager’s checkup visit to be before the start of school – it’s a perfect addition to our BTS to-do list that will help keep my teenager healthy, which is way more important than getting just the right pocket folders! I know that getting my daughter her checkup and immunizations is a really important part of her health and a great investment in her future!  Pin this image to remind yourself and your friends with teens why it’s so important to take your teen for their vaccinations!

021

If you want to learn more about teen health and vaccinations, visit UNITY Consortium’s website, Facebook, or Twitter page.

Tell us in the comments how you help protect your teen’s health!

Comments

No teens currently in our home as our 4 older kids are either in college or graduated from college. But I have two in elementary school & we update our shot records every single trip for a well-visit.

It’s so important to stay on track with scheduled vaccination schedules and regular check-ups. For teens, I think it’s great to teach them how to stay on top of their health for good lifelong habits.

3. Dogvills says

I made sure my kids were up to date with their immunizations. It is best to keep them protected from nasty illnesses. I hope more parents would see the importance of immunization for their children.

4. Joline says

Being vaccinated is a requirement for school here. And yes, knowledge IS power especially when it comes to our health and that of our loved ones!

Whilst I don’t yet have kids I do remember when I was a teen we have vaccines done at school and as painful as they were they were important to have.

My son was due for an immunization before the start of his senior year. Thank goodness his physician was aware as I didn’t think he needed any other shots after middle school. It helps to stay informed.

My son is caught up on his vaccinations, but our state takes it seriously. We were notified that all students have to be caught up on vaccinations within 5 days of school starting. Makes me wonder how they handle it for the families who don’t believe in vaccinations and don’t have them.

I’m so glad that you wrote this post. Vaccines are so incredibly important and truly save lives. I don’t know why people believe such false claims about vaccines. It’s infuriating.

I do have a teen, and he is up to date on his shots. I think his doctor asked about the HPV, but I wasn’t comfortable with that one. Everything else though, he’s good to go!

We always made sure all our kids are up to date on all their shots. Seems like more and more parents are choosing not to vaccine their children. I don’t agree with.

I remember taking my teens to get their vaccinations and to make sure they were up-to-date on everything before starting back to school. We’ve got to keep those teens healthy!