Tips For Keeping Kids Healthy this Summer

This post was sponsored by Align as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.

Summertime is drawing nearer here in Western NY, as my oldest is preparing for finals and my youngest is starting the stretch of where pretty much every day is a field trip!  When school lets out, everyone is happy but a whole new set of concerns sets in – how to keep my kiddos safe and healthy all summer long.  So we’ve put together some quick tips on how you can help keep your munchkins healthy this summer!

1. Keep active!

Some days during the summer, the kids want to be lazy.  I get it.  Me too.  However, the full time playing of Minecraft is not a bona fide way to spend your summer, so I make sure my kids get lots of time spent outside, playing and moving!  Trips to the pool help this too!

2. Review safety rules.

Now is a great time to go over some basic safety rules about summer activities.  Ones that definitely affect my kids daily are wearing sunscreen and bike helmets!  If you have a pool, now is a great time to review pool and water safety rules, and if you have kids that stay home alone, reviewing emergency procedures and rules about answering the door, etc. are a must!

3.  Try to keep a normal sleep schedule.

Even though it’s summer, kids still need their sleep! It can be tempting to throw bedtimes to the wind, but not getting enough sleep can be harmful.  Make sure to follow your pediatrician’s guidelines, and while relaxing bedtimes is understandable, try to keep SOMEWHAT in schedule.  This is particularly difficult for me with my teenager, who is MORE than happy to sleep the day away and stay up all night long, but your kids will be thanking you come back-to-school time if you keep a relatively normal schedule.

4.  Try to minimize tummy troubles.

Summer is a time of treats, for sure!  But candy, ice cream and pop – while an inevitable part of summer – can be havoc on kids’ tummies.

While my kids would be seriously upset if I cut them off from all summer treats, there are steps that I take to try and support their digestive health.  One of those steps is giving them probiotics, which are good bacteria that provide a health benefit and are essential for many vital bodily functions, including digestion.  We really like Align, Jr., from the makers of Align, the #1 Doctor and Gastroenterologist-recommended probiotic brand‡, which is now CHEWABLE  for kids age 6-12!

While there are lots of ways to help kids fortify their digestive system, a great choice of us is to use a daily probiotic supplement for kids like Align Jr. to help support digestive health.

disclaimer

You can grab some awesome coupons for Align, Jr. here, and learn more about Align at their website!

So how do you help keep YOUR kids healthy during the summer?  Let us know in the comments!

ǂ Among gastroenterologists and doctors who recommended a brand of probiotic in an AlphaImpactRx 2016 Survey.

Align partnered with bloggers, such as me, to get the word out about its great product benefits. As part of this program, I received compensation for my time. Align believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Align’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.

Comments

1. My Teen Guide says

These are all great tips to keep our kids healthy this summer. I encourage my daughter to do more outdoor play (if the weather permits) and still stick to her usual bedtime schedule. Probiotics supplements have been part of her daily routine and it does give her a healthy tummy.

2. Debra J Hawkins says

It is so hard to keep a normal sleep schedule! My kids always want to stay up later and later. These are such good tips!

3. Annemarie LeBlanc says

I totally agree with probiotic supplements. I used to be sickly before I started taking them. Not anymore! I feel like the energizer bunny every morning when I wake up. I think this Align Chewables would be great to give to the young ones. I will get some for my granddaughter. We want her to have a great summer this year!

These are all great tips for keeping the kids healthy during the summer. Safety rules is a big thing for parents to teach their kids during the summer and keeping them active is important too. The Align Jr. probiotics for kids is something I will have to share this with my sister and nieces for their kids. Thanks for shairng the tips.

My kids have no problem being active in summer, but we definitely could improve upon the sleep schedule. We tend to be very relaxed with bedtime in summer, and they do sleep in. I always tell myself I need to be better with that, but I enjoy the extra sleep too!

Probiotics are so important! My daughter just finished up some antibiotics so I should grab some Align to get her back on track. I’ve heard gut health is a huge part of our immune system.

7. Pam Wattenbarger says

Great tips for staying healthy this summer. You definitely need to remind everyone of the usual safety rules, like wearing bike helmets.

These are great tips! We do a lot of these, but we don’t always follow the same sleep schedule. But my daughter always stays active, that’s for sure.

Keeping to a routine sleeping schedule is the hardest in the summer. Kids want to stay up all hours of the night since no school the next day. Thanks for sharing!

I think this is a great post. In the summertime a lot of times we forget to eat healthier because were doing so many things. I think school year it’s easier because you can throw lunch together and put in the fridge. This is a great reminder that we should eat good during the summer too.

I love the idea of reviewing summer safety rules. Encouraging kids to play outside is also a great idea. There are so many tech gadgets calling their name and they need to get outside and exercise, play and have fun.

12. robin rue says

We adjust bedtime by a LITTLE bit, but we try to keep it as normal as possible. Unless it’s a special occasion of course :)