When we pick a movie for family movie night, it can be a challenge to satisfy an elementary kid who still loves her animation and a full-blown teen who claims to have outgrown such things – plus the grown-ups! Disney’s “Alice Through the Looking Glass” makes everyone happy though with the visually-stunning characters and the live-action adventure that really kept everyone glued to the screen. Since the movie was from Disney there were no worries about content or awkward moments, and the kids both fell in love with the characters and got into the story from the opening scenes; in fact, I did too. You’re going to want to pick up Alice Through the Looking Glass – it was released yesterday, October 18!
In “Alice Through the Looking Glass,” Johnny Depp stars as the Mad Hatter who’s desperately searching for his family; Anne Hathaway as Mirana, the kind, mild-mannered White Queen; Helena Bonham Carter as Iracebeth, the short-tempered, big-headed Red Queen (awesome costume!); and Mia Wasikowska as Alice, the heroine at the heart of the story. Sacha Baron Cohen joins the ensemble as Time (yep, Time), a magical being that is part human, part clock, and the late Alan Rickman—to whom the film is dedicated—is the voice of Absolem, the blue Monarch butterfly who metamorphosed from the blue caterpillar “Alice in Wonderland.”
An awesome feature of the Digital HD/SD & Blu-Ray release is the crazy amount of bonus features! Your whole family gets to explore the world of Underland, and three-time Oscar®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood reveals the creative process behind the incredible costuming. P!nk gives you a look behind the scenes at her video “Just Like Fire” and you know that there deleted scenes that almost steal the show.
Other Bonus Features on the Digital HD/SD & Blu-Ray include:
- Music Video: “Just Like Fire” by P!nk – “Watch this madness, colorful charade” in P!nk’s music video for “Just Like Fire,” the hit song featured in “Alice Through the Looking Glass” that powered to the top 10 on Billboard’s Hot 100.
- Behind The Looking Glass – Jump back and forth through time during this in-depth look into the making of “Alice Through the Looking Glass,” hosted by director James Bobin.
- Time On… – Delight in this discussion with the unpredictable and witty Sacha Baron Cohen who plays Time, the keeper of the Chronosphere, a metallic sphere that powers all time.
- Alice Goes Through the Looking Glass: A Scene Peeler – View a side-by-side comparison of raw production footage and final scenes, as Alice enters Underland through a magical looking glass.
- Characters of Underland – Get to know the quirky and colorful supporting characters in Underland, such as the tubby twins known as the Tweedles (Matt Lucas) and Absolem (Alan Rickman), the blue caterpillar turned blue Monarch butterfly.
If you pick up the DVD, make sure you look for this Bonus Feature:
- A Stitch in Time: Costuming Wonderland
Whichever format that you choose for your family, bring home Disney’s “Alice Through the Looking Glass” today. Don’t forget that with Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) you can redeem digital movie copy codes to access your video on the go with Disney cloud-based video services!