Where I’m From

oklahoma-890552_1280

I remember sitting in my senior psychology class in high school as my psychology professor put some poor underclassman through an exercise.  This poor person sat at the front of the room in a chair, by themselves -which in high school is probably bad enough with everyone looking at you, and he asked a question – “Who are You?”.  Generally, the person would answer with their name.  He would say ok, and then ask them again “Who Are You?”.  Some people became uncomfortable, some people had answers.  The point being is that knowing who you are was something that a lot of people have difficulty answering, and sometimes that their answers tell you a lot about how they feel about themselves.

The same can be said of the question “Where are Your From?”.  My simple answer, now, if you asked me, would be New York.  I am a tried and true New Yorker – I will struggle living anywhere outside of the Northeast and I will likely always consider myself a NYer.  But originally, I’m from Oklahoma.  But, like the answer of a name to “Who Are You?”, that response is simplistic.  I grew up with my grandparents, and if I were to say where “home” is, it would be their home in Oklahoma, where I spend many years being raised by them full time, and even longer before and after school.  My grandfather was my person, and for a good long while after he passed, I felt as though home was gone.  As I make my own home, those feelings are changing, but sometimes I still long to “go home.”

So using an awesome poem template for students from Scholastic (print this for your kids – what cool responses you may get!!!), here’s a better answer to the question “Where Are You From?”

I am from….. Adapted by Levi Romero Inspired by “Where I’m From” by George Ella Lyon

I am from books

from dominos and pencils

I am from a relic of a bygone era

familiar and warm

I am from the old apple tree

The apple tree

whose long gone limbs I remember

as if they were my own.

I’m from summertime trips to the library and loyalty from

my Granddad.

I’m from Jeopardy at dinner and endless batting practice

and from always having a place to call home.

I’m from “Put down that book, it’s time to eat.” and “One more page.” and

Old Rugged Cross.

I’m from calls for help always answered.

I’m from Oklahoma and France

and Root beer floats and Coke cans wrapped in tinfoil.

From sitting on my Grandfather’s bed as he told stories

About living, and dying and regrets.

From pictures, and flags and war medals

and photographs on the wall and in my heart

So tell, me where are YOU from??

Comments

Even now, having a family and living in a different state, I always say home when I talk about my moms house. It’s the only place that truly feels that way. Even though I have my own.

2. Jeanine says

This is lovely. I’m from a small town in Ontario Canada called Kingston, but currently live in Toronto and I guess that’s where I’m from. I usually say that when asked, because Kingston isn’t as exciting.

Wow this is a great question, poem, and post. I love this poem and it is a beautiful way to answer the question. I will have to share this for sure with my sons and sisters. Thanks for sharing this idea along with question.

Alaska. lol. It’s a beautiful poem. I have come to find out, tho, that truly I am from Alaska. It is my blood and my bones. It shaped who I am and will continue to as life goes on.

I get the same feeling. I now live in the busy city but I grew up in a more laid back place. I can feel the difference on where you from and where are your roots.

I never know what to answer when I get that question. I’m from here and there lol But if I really think about it I would say I’m from Quebec. That’s where my whole world is (my babies and hubby and sister).

7. Angelic Sinova says

I’m from Chicago and even though I plan on moving to California in the next few years, I will always say I’m from Chicago! Chicago will always be my ‘home’ <3

I was born in Texas, raised in Florida and now live in Georgia, so I just like to say that I am a southerner!! I never thought that I would live on a farm but I do now and love it :)

This very tough questions, and it is different depending on where you are in your life. I am still trying to figure out who I am, but as for where I am from… Michigan. But I have traveled so much and actually lived a lot places so I don’t feel like I can be tied to just one state when so many other experiences have made me who I am.

I totally feel for that kid singled out in class lol. It can be a tough question to answer in general. But it can be even tougher to answer that question in front of all your peers in high school!

11. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says

I am from Boston. Honestly, it’s more than just a spot on the map – it’s a way of life and I am proud to call myself a Bostonian!