Every Day is National Dog Day

Tracking Pixel

You may remember back in August there were lots and lots of pictures of the most adorable pups on all of your social media pages.  Of course, we celebrated National Dog Day along with all of our friends, but the truth is, here in our house, EVERY DAY is National Dog Day.  We have two dogs, but the queen of our home is definitely Sunny.  We were so excited for Banfield Pet Hospital® to sponsor this post so we could try out a great new product to help keep our Sunny safe, happy and healthy.  She’s one of the most important parts of all of our lives.

Sunny is always there with a “hug”, kisses, or a snuggle.  She’s especially snuggly when I’m sick – she always seems to know when I’m out of sorts. When I have a cold, she curls up at the end of the couch or bed where I sleep and watches over me. When I’ve have had a terrible day at work, she comes and flops right over onto her belly and gives kisses, determined for me to pet the bad day away.  Needless to say, she’s one of the most important parts of our family for both me and the girls.  Keeping her healthy is absolutely a priority.  Thankfully for us and for Sunny there is a Banfield Pet Hospital® a short drive away from our house!  The girls and I headed out one early morning to take Sunny in.

When the calendar starts running out of pages we know it’s time to take our Sunny dog to see the vet for her heartworm check. Because heartworm disease is spread by infected mosquitoes we don’t have to worry about it too much during our snowy winter months – which start VERY soon – but during the summer and now at the end of fall, we want to make sure that she is free from heartworms.

Sunny is a rescue dog, and she LOVES people but new places sometimes bother her, so a few encouraging pets from the girls later, we headed back in for Sunny’s exam. It only takes one bite from an infected mosquito to transmit potentially-fatal heartworm disease, but it’s a very preventable infection. The friendly staff and clean hospital put the rest of us at ease right away, and although Sunny was nervous, she was a good girl!

The doctors at Banfield Pet Hospital® explained to us that pets need an annual heartworm test and year-round heartworm prevention to be safe. Because it is so easy to test for and to prevent, there is no good reason that every dog should not stay on top of their health in this area. Those infected mosquitoes can be nasty little disease vectors, but keeping their effects at bay is so easy and manageable. With a simple application of ProHeart6®, dogs can stay protected from disease. It’s a injectable given by the doctors at Banfield Pet Hospital®, and now Sunny’s tail can keep on wagging all through the upcoming snowy months. And here’s the best part – for dogs that don’t like to take pills, this eliminates the monthly heart worm pill – ProHeart6® lasts for SIX MONTHS!!! Woohoo!!!

If you have a wonderful furry friend, you should also check into Banfield’s Optimum Wellness Plan® help to support overall pet health, and specifically heartworm prevention, by offering Heartworm preventives, including ProHeart6®, as add-ons to the plans. The awesome vet tech at Banfield did a great job of explaining it to us, and I think we will be signing up.  If you’d like to see how awesome Banfield is for yourself, you can receive one free exam and consultation at Banfield Pet Hospital® by clicking here and filling out the form. You can only use this if you are a new client.  Plus it expires on 1/15/16, and may have other restrictions, so check the fine print.

Tell us in the comments how YOUR pets fit in to your life, and how you make every day National Dog Day in your home!!

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Banfield Pet Hospital®.

Comments

The kids are wanting a furry friend so badly this year. I just don’t know if we are ever home enough to give them the attention they need. If we do decide to get one we will be sure to check into this to keep them healthy.

2. Karen Glatt says

Sunny is such a cute dog! My dog was a huge part of my life until he dies 2 years ago. Pets are so precious and they really are there to help us when we need them. I can not get a pet right now because of where I live. But I love dogs!

I’m all about the dogs every day! I don’t have one at the moment, but cannot wait until I can move to where I can. I got my dog fix for a quick second yesterday when I went with my brother to walk a friend’s dog. OMGoodnesss…for that brief moment, that pooch brightened my day.

4. michele d says

I use Banfield for my pup. I think its so convenient that they are located in PetSmart and the staff is always so nice to us.

Ironically, today was National Cat Day and though I would say that every day is National Cat Day around here, I did try to give our cats some extra attention. They are getting older, so I even made a little bed for them right in front of the fire and turned on the fire. They were in cat heaven. We also have a dog, though she really belongs to my daughter, who is 21 and studying to be a vet herself. I think that we must not have heartworms here in WA as the topic doesn’t come up when we see the vet. We do give all our animals regular monthly parasite medicine, but it is not shot, so I don’t think it covers heartworm. Can people get heartworm from mosquitos? Kind of gross to think about…

Sunny is beautiful! I prefer the idea of shots over pills. It is easier to make 100% sure they stay safe with shots, whereas with pills, there is a certain element of uncertainty.

Our dog is an important member of our family! I love that there are clinics like Banfield to help protect dogs and keep them healthy as well. Sunny is an adorable dog, I love rescue dogs they are so sweet.

Sunny is gorgeous and great images of you all – I love that ‘Every Day is National Dog Day’ and so agree – Thank you for the reminder of check on heartworm for our own furry friends –
    Of course this touches my heart – :)

Awww! Your pooch is mucho adorable! I don’t own a dog…we are actually a cat-loving family. But I would definitely call for Pet Day every day because of the wonderful TLC we all get from our pets! :)

They just built an animal hospital near me that looks so nice they have a look see for kids to come and see and pet animals once a week we just went and I was very impressed. A wellness plan is a great idea for your pets they are a part of the family and they should have great care

We have a Berner with similar color as Sunny. So we know first hand the love and care that goes into taking care of your pet. Great job.

Brooke

I have a 3 year old husky. Your post reminded me that he is due for shots and a check up at the end of this month. My dog is truly my first baby and deserves to be as healthy as can be!

It’s always national dog day in our house! Our dogs pretty much run the house and us! I think they know how weak we are when it comes to them, they can pretty much get whatever they want like spoiled children which is what they are :)

I have one dog now and his name is Oscar. He is a wiener/pit and he is like a energetic 5 yr old. He does the same thing as your dog when I am sick or have a bad day. It is so important for all fur baby parents to care for them just like they would their children.

This single gal in the city with no kids always made furbabies her ‘children’ but after my rottie passed away I just haven’t been able to get another pet for some reason. And now with my insane travel schedule it just doesn’t make sense, as I would have to kennel it while I’m away which means it would sort of be ‘alone’ for long stretches at a time. I have to live vicariously through fur baby posts online! :-)

What an amazing post! I love dogs and love this! It’s so amazing that you have a rescue dog – I love hearing stories like that! You’re right every day is national dog day – they’re family too! : )

Our dog gets his monthly heartworm pills. I did not know that he could get an injection to last for 6 months. Thanks for letting me know. Awesome!

18. Sandy KS says

I love my dogs. I have two of them. Your dog is adorable. Mine are two mutts. One is a Chug (Chihuahua/ pug mix) and a long haired Chihuahua mixed with I haven’t a clue. All dogs should be checked and treated for heartworm if they have it.

We don’t have a dog and now that my kids are getting older I am contemplating adding one to our family. Great info, I will use it to make my final decision on whether we will be getting a do!

Peanut rules the roost here at my home. I would hate for anything to ever happen to him. I’ll be sure to check out the wellness plan because he is like a family member to me and I treat him as such.