Frequently Asked Questions About Going Solar with Sunrun

Sunrun-Photo-6

While we are not a totally “green” household, we are always looking for ways to reduce our carbon footprint and do our part to help make the world a cleaner place.  After my cousin installed solar panels on their cabin in Texas, I really became interested in looking into installing solar panels on our home to help us save on energy costs.  Guys, there is a LOT to learn about going solar, so I’ve compiled a few of the things I’ve learned in reading about going solar.  Here were my top three questions about going solar, so hopefully these will answer some of your questions too!

1.  How Much Will Going Solar Cost Me?

I think there is a common thought that solar has a lot of upfront costs – I know I thought that! And some systems do cost a lot up front, and then pay for themselves across the life of the system. However for some families, that large up front cost just isn’t an option – which is why I was excited to learn about Sunrun solar service.  Sunrun offers solar leasing, where homeowners can get solar on their roof for as little as $0 down.  This allows you to start saving on your monthly electric bill right away!  Pretty cool, huh!

Leased solar, or a power purchase agreement (PPA) is easy as well.  You don’t have to worry about shopping for a system, monitoring or maintaining the system, replacing parts, etc – the solar lease provider purchases the equipment, installs and maintains it.  They are sort of like a solar landlord!  Sunrun solar service isn’t available in every state, but check out Sunrun.com to see if solar leasing might be an option for you and your family.

Sunrun-Photo-1

2.  So How Much Will Going Solar Save Me?

I think this is everyone’s first question, and there isn’t one answer for every person. It depends on how much your electricity costs you know, how much you use, and your rate.  Sunrun’s customers save an average of 20% on their electricity costs (*Actual savings will vary. See http://clvr.li/1dwHGKc for details), and electricity from Sunrun is cheaper than electricity from your utility company.  This can really add up over the lifetime of a solar system!

3.  What does it mean “On the Grid” or “Off the Grid”?

When I hear “off the grid” I think about survivalists living in the woods making their own soap and eating wild berries, but it’s really not too complicated.  “On the Grid” refers to a solar system that utilizes an existing utility’s electrical grid to send and receive power.  On this type of system, you can earn energy “credits” if your system produces more electricity than you use by putting that “spare” electricity back into the system.  This helps lower your energy costs by giving you credit for when your system is not producing electricity (e.g at night time).

Off the grid is different – it uses a battery backup not tied to a utility grid.  These battery backups are very expensive, and their waste management is toxic, so these are options for many people.  If you use third-party-owned solar like Sunrun, your system will be on the grid.

Sunrun-Photo-4

Are you ready to take the plunge yet?  Even if you’re not quite ready yet, take the time to see if Sunrun might be right for your family – it’s good for your wallet AND the environment.

Also, be sure to check out the Sunrun sweepstakes on Facebook!  You can enter to win a Nest Learning Thermostat, which can help you use less energy!

What questions do you have about solar?  If you have solar, how do you like it, and do you have any advice for us newbies just exploring going solar?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

Comments

1. Rosie says

I don’t know anyone near me who has solar, although I know the town is considering some ordinances about it. I only know someone in Hawaii, they save quite a bit.

2. Ron Leyba says

No better way to save energy than using solar energies. Thanks for this information, truly helpful.

Wow! We are considering building a sun room and now you have me considering a solar sun room for sure! You really break it down so well and make it affordable too! I am super excited to share this with my husband. Thanks!

WOW! I didn’t realize that you could lease solar power systems! That definitely makes it seem far more affordable. With all the sun we get, it would definitely help our power bill!

We’re thinking of going solar, too, but we didn’t think we could afford it. This is the first time I heard about solar leasing and it sounds like a great idea. I have to look more into this. Thanks for the info.

I had no idea that you could lease in order to have a solar panel system on your home. That is so cool, I think many people would be interested in the benefits of solar but are put off by the large up front cost. Thanks so much for sharing this new information with us!

I have always wanted to try out solar pans. We live in Washington State so I have always wondered if the cloud coverage would affect how much energy we would get. This is great information for anyone considering solar polar.

Thank you for all of the tips. This is very useful information. I’ve heard of people using solar on their homes, but I’ve never looked into it much. Now I know more about it.

This seems interesting. I’ve never hard of someone leasing solar panels on their home. I would love decrease my carbon foot print so I would probably wait until I can afford it outright. A 20% savings is great though, especially if you see that savings in the winter and summer when heating/cooling bills are the highest.

I would really love to go solar. Right now, I rent, so it’s not really an option for me. Someday though, when I own my own house, I will definitely look into going the solar route. It’s good for the environment and my budget!

Cost and effectiveness would be two of my main questions. I would also wonder about maintenance and protection from the elements. We’ve tried a few solar projects in the Middle East but the amount of sand would make them ineffective and the amount of cleaning just wouldn’t be practical.

12. Elizabeth O. says

This great information. My husband and I have been thinking about this. I had no idea you could use a third party for this.

My husband used to work for a company fitting solar panels to roofs. It’s becoming a big business in the UK with solar farms popping up everywhere. Which are basically fields filled with solar panels. I’m not sure how I feel as they can be quite ugly but using natural sources to make energy can only be good.

14. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says

Going solar is definitley something we have been considering. It seems to be the way of the future of energy!