I claimed January 1, 2013 as the first day of the rest of my life. Sounds serious,right?! This was the day I started Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet (I’ll tell you more about that later.)
One of my least favorite things about this diet is that Phase 1 is super restrictive. It’s even worse for someone like me who doesn’t care for too many vegetables. In order for me to stick to the South Beach Diet and make it through Phase 1 without cheating I have to make it about more than salads and boiled/baked meats.
I found an Egg Muffin recipe on Kalyn’s Kitchen and it was almost perfect for me. I halved the recipe and decided to make mini muffins. This way I would have something to nosh on that fit into Phase 1. I could take my time eating them, to trick my body into thinking I’m eating more than I actually am. And these are simply delicious!
The first thing I did was spray 16 cups in my mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and pre-heat the oven to 350°. Then I tore up 2 pieces of Turkey Bacon and spread the pieces out over those 16 cups.
I diced a few slices of cheese (I used Marbled Jack, but Sharp Cheddar would probably work well too.) and spread those over the Turkey Bacon.
In a large bowl I mixed the 6 eggs with a dash of salt and plenty of cracked black pepper.
I added 2 tbsp. of the egg mixture to the cups. I only had a little leftover so I topped off some of the lesser filled cups. I placed the mini muffin tin on a cookie sheet and baked for 30 minutes.
My muffins didn’t come out as pretty as I had hoped (regular muffin tins would yield more of a “stump”) but they were delicious!
I snagged 1 to try, and put the rest in a storage container, covered and put that in the fridge for breakfast this morning.
While I’m not a huge breakfast eater, I have to be on Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. This phase is all about eating the healthy foods to make sure you’re not hungry throughout the day.
These muffins only take 5 – 8 seconds in the microwave to warm up. They’ll keep in the fridge for up to a week, so you have breakfast/snack for a couple of days at least. You can add any veggies/lean meat or omit the meat all together.
- 6 eggs
- 2 slices of Turkey Bacon (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 16 cups in your mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Begin by tearing up 2 slices of Turkey Bacon and layering them in the bottom of the muffin cups.
- Continue layering by evenly dividing the shredded cheese over the Turkey Bacon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with salt, pepper and/or whatever seasoning you prefer.
- Add 2 tbsp. of the egg mixture over the bacon & cheese layers.
- Place muffin tin on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pop muffins out of tin and store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.