Whether you’re having a hard time financially, or your child(ren) just really loves the book bag they had last year, “recycling” it may be the best solution. By jazzing up an old book bag you’ll save money, and allow your child’s creative side to shine through when they head back to school. This is also great motivation for the back to school transition and good conversation starters for those just entering school, or starting at a new one.
What You (may) Need:
- old costume jewelry
- glitter glue
- old action figures
- rubber/plastic “critters”
- old book bag
- iron on (or sew on) patches
- old keychains
- hot glue gun (or a tube of Krazy Glue)
- needle & thread (or a sewing machine)
How You Can Do It:
- Sew up any tears and/or rips in the bag, or put patches over them.
- iron or sew on any patches your child desires
- help them apply the beads, jewelry, action figures etc.. with a hot glue gun, or Krazy glue
- let them draw, write, decorate the book bags to their liking
- don’t forget the straps!
- offer guidance, but don’t take over! This is all about the kids at this point, help them get motivated by offering some ideas
- Make sure the glued on pieces are actually glued on – if they are dangling they may become a distraction in the classroom.
- Make it a party! Invite some of your child’s old classmates and friends to have a DIY book bag makeover party.